This year, Open Access Week fell on the 7th Week of our Fall Term (October 23rd-29th). In order to promote this, I sifted through the old files we’ve previously used for this week. I noticed that the old digital signs were creative and easy to understand, but much too text-heavy. The same was true for our old handout.

To solve this problem, I decided to make a series of relevant, easy-to-read digital signs that would rotate in a cycle with fewer files than last year (only about 10 as opposed to 30+).

These four digital signs all have very different designs and content. If I were to redo this project, I might design the signs with a more consistent feel to more clearly indicate their connection. I was hoping to draw attention to each of them separately considering they all have different messages. My goal was to succinctly convey the importance and relevance of Open Access Week to Carleton students.

My second project was to recreate the Open Access Week handout:

My intention with this handout was to create something attractive and succinct. It was meant to be a brief summary, a jumping off-point to more information and resources, and also a bridge between Open Access Week and our Future of Publishing Series with St. Olaf. I’m very happy with the way it turned out. The only thing I would do differently would be to look for more relevant images and also to begin my design process even earlier (maybe 4-5 weeks in advance) to give the library staff enough time to review my designs and correct the content.

Jordan Kobbervig ’19