Located in the Marina Roscha region of Moscow, Lazarus Cemetery once contained a Godhouse: a small building that held the unclaimed bodies of the homeless, poor, and those who had died tragic deaths. Once a year during the holiday Semik, these bodies were given proper burials. Beginning in the nineteenth century, the cemetery became the most important one in Moscow. After his release from the Lubyanka in 1923, Patriarch Tikhon traveled to Lazarus Cemetery to conduct a funeral service. In 1936, the cemetery was razed to the ground and a park honoring Feliks Dzerzhinsky founded in its place.
Other places containing God Houses mentioned in this chapter include the Monastery of the Intercession (Pokrov), Spaso-Andronikov Monastery, Andreevsky Monastery, Varsonof’evsky Monastery, the Monastery of the Elevation of the Cross, Perechistenka near Miertvyi Lane, Serpukhovsky Gates, and Taganka.